Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Speaking and Teaching at the Needlework and Textile Guild of Michigan


If you follow me on Facebook, Twitter or Linked-In, you may have noticed that I had a busy week last week of speaking, teaching, selling and modeling.  I had a small panic about the lack of jewelry I had on hand to sell so I did switch gears to make a few more jewelry pieces and took a break from my large project.

On Tuesday morning I drove to Birmingham, MI to set up my jewelry and my laptop for a presentation on my beadwork (and other artwork that I dabble in) to the Needlework and Textile Guild of Michigan.  My talk ran about an hour and fifteen minutes, then I was able to speak to guild members while they took a look at the jewelry items that I sell.  I got a ton of great feedback from the members, it was all very exciting.
(Group Shopping Photo)

After the talk and lunch, we started in on the first half-day of the workshop I was teaching.  I taught 2-Drop Peyote Stitch and went over very basic design elements of the stitch.  I had 11 ladies in the class the first day for the bracelets.


Day 2 (a full class day) I had 9 students and we worked on finishing our bracelets, then after an hour or so we switched gears to making our rings.  The rings we made are a small version of the bangle bracelets that I make.  I require everyone to use the delica beads for this project.



I found that on the second day it was really great to have 2 projects going.  Every student needs help at different levels and I try very hard to get around to everybody.  While some of my students were waiting for me to get around to them for help on the ring (tubular peyote), they could work on the bracelet from the day before.  I know I don't like to have idle hands while waiting, so neither should my students!!!!

(Group Ring Shot)

I would like to shout out a HUGE thanks to all of my students.  Jeanne Sarna of Page Additions gets all of the photo credit for this blog post (I'm so bad at remembering to take photos).  I had a wonderful time working with everyone and thank you for your patience while I got around to you for individual help. 

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

We enjoyed the class, thanks, Jenny

Pantone Color of 2024: Peach Fuzz Bracelet and Huggie Earrings

I usually like to do something with the Pantone Color of the year when it comes out, this year is Peach Fuzz, which doesn't feel very e...